At Innovative Dentistry, we would like our patients in Las Vegas, Nevada, to know that healthy gums are just as crucial to a healthy smile as your precious pearly whites. In fact, the condition of your gums are an excellent indicator of your overall health, and although the biggest cause of bleeding gums is the buildup of plaque at the gum line, but there are several reasons why your gums may bleed.
– Do you have a vitamin deficiency? If you have too little essential vitamins in the body, especially vitamin C and K can cause your gums to bleed.
– Are you anemic? If you have a lack of iron, this can cause a deficiency of red blood cells or of hemoglobin in the blood and cause your gums to bleed.
– Do you take medications? Gum inflammation can be a result of blood-thinning medications such as aspirin and ibuprofen, as well as certain blood pressure medications.
– Are you brushing too hard? If you are brushing your teeth too hard, this can irritate the gums. Switch to a soft-bristled toothbrush and brush with gentle, circular motions instead of sawing back and forth.
– Do you smoke? If you smoke, the toxins emitted from smoking tobacco can irritate the gums and result in a condition called “dry mouth”.
– Do you have an infection? If you have periodontitis, this is a serious gum infection that eventually destroys the bones supporting your teeth. Periodontitis may also increase your risk of heart attack and stroke.
– Are you experiencing hormonal changes? Pregnancy and menstruation cause a spike in your hormones which alters the chemical balance in your mouth, negatively affecting gum tissue.
You don’t need to let bleeding gums get your smile down. If your gums are bleeding and you would like help, we invite you to give our Innovative Dentistry team a call today at (702) 508-0191. Dr. Angela Catalano is here to help our patients in Las Vegas, Nevada, achieve and maintain healthy smiles!