Happy smiles for a happy holiday season begin with safe and effective oral health care habits. With the addition of all the festive fun that comes with the holidays, there are additional risks we must watch out for. If you are not careful, a holiday surprise could turn into a holiday nightmare.
Preventing damage to your teeth and gums doesn’t have to cost you a good time. Consider these simple tips to treat your mouth right this season:
– Don’t bite down on anything that can easily chip or crack teeth, such as icicles or jumbo candy canes.
– Protect your teeth with a mouth guard or facemask from dangerous outdoor activities such as skiing, sledding, hockey, and ice skating.
– Be sure to brush and floss with extra care if you enjoy holiday sweets such as chewy candy, candy canes, peppermint bark, peanut brittle, popcorn balls, or gummy sweets. Many holiday snacks can easily stick to your teeth and gums and are more difficult to remove.
– If you are looking for a great snack to enhance your smile, sugarless gum has been shown to fight against the effects of cavities when chewed for over 20 minutes after a meal.
– Avoid sugary drinks that seek to promote tooth decay.
If you have suffered from an oral accident or simply wish for a professional cleaning from our dentist at Innovative Dentistry, please contact our office in Las Vegas, Nevada, at 702-407-9990. You can also schedule an appointment with Dr. Angela Catalano. We look forward to making your smile merry for the holidays!