Are you having trouble getting a good night’s sleep because of breathing difficulties? If so, you are not alone. This common sleep disorder is known as sleep apnea, and it can affect anyone. Do you know why this might be happening to you? There are certain factors that can put you at higher risk of developing this disorder. Let’s take a look at just a few of these factors today.
- The efficiency of your airway can be affected by your body type and health. If you struggle with weight issues, the fat deposits in your upper body can actually impede your airway. And if you have a thicker neck, your airway will also be narrower.
- As you age, sleep apnea is more common if your body has physically changed.
- If you are male, you are twice as likely to develop sleep apnea as your female counterpart, even though women’s risk increases after menopause.
- You can inherit sleep apnea from your forebears. If your family has a history of sleep apnea, you may want to research symptoms and treatment in case you find yourself in their shoes.
- If you smoke, drink, or take muscle relaxers for other conditions, you will be more at risk for developing sleep apnea.
If sleep apnea is keeping you from a restful slumber, we can help. We invite you to call Dr. Angela Catalano at (702) 508-0191 for more information about how we can help you if you are currently experiencing mild to moderate sleep apnea. Our Innovative Dentistry team Las Vegas, Nevada, is happy to help you a good night’s sleep again!